Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Preschool Tryouts

So Cort & I attended a Preschool Fair last night put on by my Mom's Group and I think it went really well and definitely opened our eyes up to all of the options out there....and there are a TON! And they are all fairly PRICEY! But I guess if you want your kid to play with other rich kids you have to shell out the dough for it....so here are a few of the choices we were presented last night.

Of course you have your run of the mill...this is a church and we also have a preschool here so God is Great and then we color a picture of him.

Then we have Challenger...which is the "If you make billions of dollars and live in Utah and you like your kids like you like your women seen and not heard...Challenger is the place for you....and your over disciplined children"...we'll schedule their bathroom breaks for them. Hell! We'll tell them how to take a crap.

On the opposite side of the spectrum we have Seven Canyons School where we hold hands, sing kumbayah and knit our clothes...I actually liked this school. Every kid learns to knit by the 1st grade, BUT they don't make the kids do anything they don't want to do "the child is ready for kindergarten or the child is ready to dance, if they child is not ready to paint they may choose another activity or not to participate" which again I kind of liked but Cort was convinced if Quinn wasn't "ready" to be at school one day they would let her take the bus home. I'm still going to their open house on Saturday..I'll be ready to attend the open house!

Then we have your typical University Preschool (University of Utah) where all of the Masters of Education Students as well as the Bach Degrees get to test things out on your kids and conduct they're studies and projects. This is probably the one Quinn will end up going to because we both liked it...and that rarely happens. They have window booths where students may observe your child...and with our luck Quinn will do what she did earlier today which was take off her diaper and crap on the rug..students I'm sure could study the shit out of that...pun obviously intended. The location is also great for us- we live about 10 minutes away from the University.

And last but not least: Montessori which I love...not only am I the president of the company but I'm also a member....both my bro & I went Montessori and I personally have fond memories of singing "she'll be comin round the mountain"and listening to books on tape...whereas my brother ryan just remembers crying and polishing pennies...ANYWAY, Montessori does believe in the play learning but what I enjoy about it is they take a global view of education and teach the children holidays and various significant features of other cultures and communities. They also adopt children in 3rd world countries for pen pals and such which is beneficial in a white state...or white city (you know who you are) where we like to pretend we're the only ones...

There were a couple other schools highlighted last night but none of them really tickled us...like the JCC as it's known here or the Jewish Community Center where 90% of the kids that go there are not Jewish nor do they teach any Jewish Religion...they just require you pay $2000 /month for the education plus a $1000 year long membership to their fitness center....hmm...maybe next year

3 comments:

lovingmysoldier said...

That sounds really cool! We only have one preschool here, kids go for 2 1/2 hours either Monday, Wednesday and Friday or Tuesday and Thursday, and it costs $61 a month for the 2 days and $80 I think for 3 days...the good thing is I love the teacher and it is nice and they take unpotty-trained kids and they don't know it yet, but they are taking Kyla in Sept!!

mizzmegpie said...

pre-school is amazing. I pay 165 a month for three days three hours. The school is at a church. Have chapel on fridays where they sing songs. I was not sure what to think when my daughter came home singing "he's got the whole world in his hands" for the first time but she has learned so much since she started in september, it is way worth the money.

vedjen said...

I can only imagine the theses that would stem from observing the elaborate pooping rituals of preschoolers.