Saturday, April 21, 2007

Totally Turned Off

I like to think if people had to tag me as a conservative or liberal they would lean more liberal. But after the parent meeting at Quinn's school last night I'm not sure where I fall.

The school I chose for Quinn is an extremely liberal, creative, loosely structured ...well it's Waldorf . Very holistic approach to education; they respect nature, they learn where everything comes from, they learn to understand and love everyone and it's pretty cool. HOWEVER, the lack of organization, communication and the overall SNOTTINESS of this place is really getting to me.

I love Quinn's teacher and I love the woman who runs the school- I don't love the woman's husband. He's a complete ass. We show up at this meeting last night with a salad. The email specifically said- "it's a potluck, bring a dish" so the woman that runs the place, rushes over and says "oh thank god you brought something, barely anyone did so thank you!" I go to put it on the table and her asshole husband comes over and goes "what is that"I reply "Oriental chicken salad". His response "you better let everyone know it's not vegetarian". That's #1 oh and cram this salad spoon up your ungrateful vegetarian ass.

#2. We're in this meeting and they are going over the 5 year goal for the school. They are also discussing the fundamental beliefs of the school for example: tolerance. That's when asshole chimes in "I want to be clear there are certain things we are not tolerant of; it's our biggest pet peeve when kids wear Spiderman or Batman shirts or Dora...we are not tolerant of that". And we're not tolerant when they draw pictures of Television characters because those are someone else's artistic creations".

WHAT THE FUH? SERIOUSLY! Guess I've been in radio too long. Yeah I understand TV kills your brain, yeah I understand someone else came up with Spiderman. But inspiration comes from somewhere different for everyone....I do not want someone condescendingly and militantly telling my child they are a loser if they enjoy watching an episode of Dancing with the Stars. But let's be honest it was the mention of Dora that really pissed me off. Quinn loves Dora. Yeah we let her watch Nick Jr. and she asks to watch Dora. But more than anything my kid wants to go outside and play and draw pictures with her sidewalk chalk. Or rock her baby to sleep. or dance. My child is extremely creative and can still watch Dora...HOLY SHIT WHAT A CONCEPT.

A shocking fact they mentioned last night was 90% of the students last year did not return to the school this year....shocking no more...they are snobs...they make you feel like you are not part of the club unless you succumb to all of their "pet peeves" (that was one of my favorite parts...when he said that...so unprofessional).

Like I said, I thought I was a hippie I thought this school was pretty liberal/hippie, but Sarah told me once even hippies can be militant...and I think that's what I've run into here. I thought we would all hold hands and love each other and there was no wrong answer....apparently there is. This is just the kind of stuff I try to stay away from, I hate when people tell you if you do this or this then you are no longer part of the club. It reminds me a lot of religion...which we all know what I think of that.

Sadly, I think after this spring session is over I'm taking Quinn out and moving her to Montessori. At least there I know they are cool with Quinn wearing a Dora shirt.

2 comments:

mizzmegpie said...

WOW, that would irritate me big time. My husbands nephew (2yrs) goes to a Montessori school there. He and his parents love it. I can not remember the name, I think it is by a liquor store. Um...maybe not the best location. I could be wrong though. Good luck in the school situation.

ShePutsTheLotionOnHerSkin said...

I can't believe you let Quinn watch Dora. I heard that she was a Mexican (japanese?)prostitute before she got this most recent gig. Hey, does Quinn watch Backyardigans (maybe it's farmigans...but I am certain on the igans portion of the title) I watched it the other day. Yes, I am a childless 27 year old gal who sat and watched an entire episode of a children's show. But it was SO CUTE that I couldn't change the channel. Anyway...glad you're moving that sweet thing from her Nazi camp.