Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Word Droppers

When I was in junior high my Dad started a "Word of the Day" for my brother and I. Each morning my brother & I would wake up to see a new word and it's definition posted on our cereal cupboard. Unfortunately, I believe word #3 was the last to post in front of the Wheaties.....the first one and the only one I remember is Marsupial.
I am a college graduate but I think my vocabulary leaves a lot of room for improvement and by a lot I mean PATHETICALLY....A LOT! Almost 30 years old and I still ask "what does that mean?'
ANYWAY, in the wide world of conversation there are word droppers and name droppers......
I don't really mind name droppers, in fact, I embrace them I love hearing about Jared Leto and his enormous ego and Lindsay Lohan and her whatever....I love it. I think people love hearing about Sugar Ray Leonard and how he felt me up (true story). But what turns me off is word droppers. These are the people that will drop a huge word into their conversation to show......something....intelligence....vast vocabulary....or the fact they are attempting to use it in the right context....which is almost never right.

Someone I work with attempts to do this all the time. All it does it allow me to leave their office with a solemn glow on my face realizing they have completely used the words "retro fit" in the wrong context....
Don't try to woooo me with your vocab.....most of the time I won't understand what you're trying to say anyway, isn't there another way you can show me how cool you are? Perhaps whip out your dick and a ruler? Or recite all 50 state capitals?

4 comments:

vedjen said...

Oh ME TOO, ME TOO!

I have two of these wordies at work and they feed off each other, playing their little pun games outside of their respective offices for no other reason than to let everyone else behold their witty grasp of the English language.

"You talk to so and so about the cemetery?"
"Yeah, she said she had no bones about it."
"Oh, come on, cough-in it up."
"Can't or she will bury me"

Har, har, har.

Granted, I, with my white-trash, east of the mountains education can't replicate the exact conversations of these East Coast scholars, but it's bad and will make you want to bash in their socially-inept brains with a jacked up El Camino.

That'll teach 'em.

Disco said...

OH MY GOD! I wish I was that witty...never gonna happen-
on a side note: remember the people that hung out at Wray's Thriftway during lunch time?...I was never in that group...nor was I cool enough for the group Darren Scully shoved into his clown car to cruise through the orchard....humph

vedjen said...

Nope, never in the Wray's group. I don't even remember leaving much. As everyone else was rushing off making high school memories, I was back on campus cheerfully munching on cheese zombies and giant chocolate chip cookies. But I never understood why you would want to drive so far during such a short lunch anyways. By the time you got there you just had to return back OR deal with Mrs. Boucher.

mizzmegpie said...

Well, you dont have to be so "glib"!! I still have no idea what that word is. I am not sure if tom cruise was being made fun of because he used the word in the wrong way or if it was because nobody uses that word anymore. I only know one big word and that in cumbersome. I dont know how to spell it but I only know it because it is a title of a song. If I try to use big words I have to ask after words if that was the right word to use!!

But I want to hear your story of being felt up!!